Achieve Your Goals in 7 Steps
The fourth quarter of the year is almost here—how close are you to achieving your goals? Many real estate agents set goals in January, only to forget all about them long before the final quarter of the year. The reason? They likely became inspired to set goals at the beginning of the year, but the goals they set weren’t realistic or they set goals they thought they should set without thinking about whether it would be right for their business.
The goals you set should be elusive, personal to you and life enhancing. It’s important to have a personal stake in achieving the goal; that is, it’ll make your life or business that much better. It’s not enough to set the goal; there are several follow-up steps to take to ensure you achieve it.
- Identify what you want. A realistic goal begins with assessing what you really want and making sure it aligns with who you are. This is where many people get hung up. We feel that our goals should be bigger and more than what we really want. We feel we should set a goal to run a marathon when, in reality, we don’t like running in the first place. Goals are personal so set ones that align with your life and business.
- Connect. Goals are more achievable if you connect with them on three levels: your head, heart and hands. When you connect with a goal mentally, you’re more likely to focus on it. When it connects with your heart, it aligns with your beliefs. If you believe you can achieve it, you will. Connect your goal with your hands and you’ll put in the work, day in and day out, to ensure the goal becomes a reality.
- Establish a plan of attack. Creating a plan requires us to slow down and truly think. There are three elements to a good plan. The first is to empty your mind of thoughts. Write it down on a piece of paper. Then, decide which thoughts are important (or not). Finally, have the time and patience to let the plan develop. Although a plan may come to you immediately, it’s more likely that it’ll take shape over several days or weeks.
- Be bold. Boldness is making a decision and going for it. It’s taking a calculated risk and having the courage to start. Oftentimes we get so wrapped up in wondering if it’s the right time or not. No time is the perfect time; you have to act.
- Clear room to work. This is a principle to use every day to give you the space to achieve your goals. Write down answers to the following questions:
- What are the obstacles you need to eliminate?
- What are the situational challenges you need to anticipate?
- What are the sacrifices required?
The answers will give you clarity and help you focus on what you truly need to do.
- Feedback. Without feedback, it’s easy to get off track. Put mechanisms in place to help you thrive, whether it’s tracking your activities or checking in with a coach or accountability partner.
- Trust the process. You’ll likely encounter ups and downs throughout the process. That’s okay! Don’t become discouraged and quit; instead, hit the reset button and begin again. It’s up to you to achieve your goals.
If you’d like more tips to help you build your business, sign up for Buffini & Company’s GameChangers™. We’re heading to Portland, Oregon in October and Phoenix, Arizona in November for a full day of strategy, motivation and networking to help you win the game of real estate. Reserve your spot today!