How a Real Estate Coach Can Propel Your Business to Greater Success
For the past few years, real estate has been fast-paced and hectic, as homes were purchased and sold at record numbers. When your days are nonstop, it may seem overwhelming to add anything else to your plate, such as working with a business or real estate coach. But now that the market is shifting due to rising inflation and mortgage rates, it’s a perfect time to consider using one. A savvy, experienced coach will help you adapt and prepare for the changes ahead. They will work with you to set your vision, clarify your goals and help you reach your highest potential, no matter the market.
The History of Business Coaching
For most of us, when we hear the term “coach,” we think of sports. And it’s true – every great athlete and team has one thing in common – a great coach.
But the concept of coaching goes back much further than organized sports. Socrates, the ancient Greek philosopher, is often thought of as the founding father of Western philosophy. Much of his time was spent with his fellow Athenians discussing matters related to virtue and justice, through a series of questions and answers. The Socratic Method helped students stimulate their own critical thinking and find the answers within themselves by asking them the right questions.
In the early 20th century, Dr. Norman Vincent Peale and Napoleon Hill were hugely influential as they authored books on the power of positive thinking and the tenets of positive psychology. And millions of people worldwide still use the methods taught by Dale Carnegie nearly 90 years ago, especially pertaining to self-improvement, corporate training, sales, public speaking and interpersonal skills.
Business coaching started to become popular in the 1980s, as it incorporated leadership development training and the collaborative model of consultations. But it was in the early 2000s that coaching really took off as businesspeople sought to have a competitive edge.
Brian Buffini – An Inspirational Tale From Emigrant to Industry Legend
In 1996, after an extraordinary career as one of the top REALTORs® in Southern California, Brian Buffini decided to start a real estate consulting company, where he would share the methods that had brought him success.
Buffini’s story starts in Ireland, where he worked for a time with his grandfather, Harry Buffini, who was a house painter. Harry himself had found success by asking one question after every job was done – “Can you put your name to it?” It was a mantra that his grandson never forgot.
Emigrating to the United States at age 19, Buffini had a variety of jobs in the San Diego area, working hard to make ends meet. After a motorcycle accident that left him hospitalized for weeks and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, Buffini knew he needed a stable income. A chance encounter with a real estate agent led him to his first job in the industry. With his grandfather’s philosophy of doing business and his passionate commitment to his very first customer – a client others had discounted – Buffini laid the foundation for his success. Not only did he impress her with his follow-up skills and tenacity but more importantly, he saw her first as a human being who deserved his time and compassion. His professionalism led the woman to give Buffini several other lucrative referrals.
Throughout his career, as an agent and now company founder and chairman of Buffini & Company, Buffini lives by the principles he knows best – superior customer service, work by referral and the importance of continuing to learn and grow. He has often acknowledged the impact of significant thought leaders such as Jim Rohn, Zig Ziglar and many others on his own personal journey to success. That generosity to extend opportunities for growth is a significant part of the Buffini & Company culture, for both employees and customers, through a variety of resources.
In 2017, Buffini wrote his own inspirational book, the New York Times bestseller, The Emigrant Edge: How to Make it Big in America (Howard Books, 2017.) In it, he shares his own story as well as seven key characteristics that he and other successful immigrants have in common that have helped them reach “the American Dream.”
Buffini & Company is now the largest real estate coaching company in North America. Based on the premise of powerful lead-generation systems, the company has trained more than 3 million business professionals in 41 countries. It currently serves 21,000 members and trains more than 60,000 people a year through live events and business training programs.
What Does a Business or Real Estate Coach Do?
Behind every great athlete is a coach who inspired, motivated and challenged them. A business coach works much the same way, helping you to overcome challenges that allow you to reach incredible levels of success.
Your coach will work with you to define and implement your vision, mission and values.
Vision Statement – A vision statement describes the goals you want to achieve, both short-term and long-term. It depicts a concise, strategic plan with benchmarks to reach those goals.
Questions to consider when drafting vision statements might include:
- Where do we hope to be in five years?
- Where do we hope to be in 10 years?
- What problem are we seeking to solve?
- If we achieved all our strategic goals, what would be the next steps?
A real estate coach will help you define not only what your business vision is but also what you want the rest of your life to be like. They know that your business is important but to be truly successful in life you must have satisfaction in other parts of your life as well. They will advise you on strategies so that you don’t burn out on in your professional life.
- Business Strategy/ Planning – A real estate coach should be knowledgeable in all the “nuts and bolts” of your industry. They should review all components of your business, pointing out your strengths and weaknesses. Working with you, the coach should aid in devising a strategic plan to fix those weaknesses.
- Goal Setting – Your real estate coach will help you map out realistic, attainable short-term and long-term goals. Too many times we start off excited but then get discouraged when we don’t see the results or even any progress made on the goals.
- Accountability – A great real estate coach practices “tough love.” They don’t let you get away with a lackluster attitude, procrastination and avoidance tactics. They will offer support but also keep you accountable to make sure you are focused and on task.
- Expertise – You want a coach who has “talked the talk and walked the walk.” In other words, someone who has been in your shoes, followed the methods they are asking you to do and has found great success in doing so.
- Encouragement – Your coach should have energy and passion, not only for your business, but also for you and your goals. They should listen to your concerns and fears and help you through mental obstacles blocking your way to success. They should inspire and excite you and make you believe you can accomplish great things.
- Lead generation – At Buffini & Company, we believe in the mantra “Work by Referral”. Instead of spending countless frustrating hours cold calling and scrolling the internet for leads, we stress building your database with leads gained from those you know. Your Buffini & Company real estate coach will share techniques on this method and help you find those hidden leads you are overlooking.
- Nurturing Relationships – Relationships are critical to real estate success. Buying or selling a home is one of the most emotional and expensive transactions most people will ever make. Your coach can offer tips on how to nurture your relationships with your clients. This will not only make your customers feel more comfortable, it will also motivate them to recommend you to their family and friends.
- Enjoy the Process – Hal Higdon is a legendary running coach who, through his website and social media platforms, has helped hundreds of millions of runners with training plans. As a guest on Brian Buffini’s “It’s a Good Life” podcast, Higdon shared with listeners his tips that runners, businesspeople, or anyone for that matter, can use in their life to achieve success and happiness. It was important, Higdon said, to establish and work towards your goals – but you don’t have to do it alone. Consistency is key but it is important to remember, he said, to enjoy the process and have fun. If you follow those principles, before you know it, you will have reached your goal!
- If you are ready to take your business to the next level, check out the coaching and training programs at Buffini & Company. Team Coaching – Learn strategies on how to use your natural strengths to become the leader your team needs. Set your vision, clarify your business goals and then achieve them with continual leadership coaching. This program gives you three coaching calls per month; a team leader curriculum, access to a monthly interactive broadcast, 7 Figure Club – Live, TM and free admission to the annual Team Leader Conference and more. One2One Coaching – Set your vision, clarify your business goals and achieve them with coaching. With this program you get two coaching calls per month; a REALStrengths ® Profile; a monthly marketing kit and access to Referral Maker CRM, and more. Group Coaching – Move toward your goals and get the support you need with a coach and community of peers. With Group Coaching, you get live bi-monthly group coaching sessions, access to Referral Maker CRM, a monthly marketing kit, discounts on events, and more.
Our coaches have all completed rigorous training and ongoing continuing education to stay on top of trends in the real estate market and coaching. It’s time for you to lead your best and most productive professional life and have fun doing so!